Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My inspiration for teaching my children

 Dear friend,
  I am so thankful and excited to be able to share with you our ''New'' Journey in our schooling!
Even though we started homeschooling four years ago, I say ''New'' because  we finally found a way of schooling that I have been always dreaming of,  but never thought was real. Never knew how to form in words, until Now. A few words that would describe my vision of learning would be, Exploration, Creativity, Nature,  Art, History, Living Books ( not just any books, but good books full of meat, full of wonder, books that can take you back in time, books that teach you, inspire you, challenge you). Music, Hands on activities, Imagination, Culture.
       Summer of 2013 a friend of mine offered a book to me, after we have been speaking of all the different ways of homeschooling and all the different curriculums out there...How overwhelming. Anyway, she looked at me and said I think you would love this book. Have you ever herd of Charlotte Mason before? Of cores I said no.

 As soon as I opened The Charlotte Mason Companion, by Karen Andreola. (the book that she so kindly let me borrow)I was Inspired!
   Who was Charlotte Mason? 
 http://www.amblesideonline.org/WhatIsCM.shtml

   I soon discovered after reading The Charlotte Mason Companion,  that Charlotte Mason had a series of books. Charlotte Mason's six-volume book series .

 1) volume 1- Home education
2) volume 2- Parents and Children
3) volume 3- School education
4) volume 4- ourselves
5) volume 5- Formation of Character
6) volume 6- Towards a Philosophy Of education
 
   These wonderful books are available Through the library.
At this time I am still reading through them. 

 Also I would recommend the Books
 - For The Children's Sake by, Susan Schaeffer Macaulay
- When children Love to Learn by, Elaine Cooper
 ( This one I will be reading shortly, I herd lots of wonderful things about it).

 This blog is meant to encourage and inspire the reader. I will be posting our daily endeavors of our school day. I will be sharing books that we read, projects, inspiration's etc.
 As far as Charlotte Masons teaching, I am reading and learning everyday. I am so blessed to be able to share my love of learning with my children! 


        Charlotte Mason~
       ~  On Nature
Children should be encouraged to watch, patiently and quietly, until they learn something of the habits and History of  bee, ant, wasp, spider, hairy caterpillar, dragon-fly, and whatever of larger growth comes in their way.
       I feel the reason I am so drawn to this way of teaching, is because I love the simplicity of Learning. We live in a world that says education is '' this way'' and if you don't fit in to our ''way'' there is something wrong.

 Volume 1 page 2. 
 Mothers owe a 'thinking love' to their Children.––"The mother is qualified," says Pestalozzi, "and qualified by the Creator Himself, to become the principal agent in the development of her child; ... and what is demanded of her is––a thinking love ... God has given to the child all the faculties of our nature, but the grand point remains undecided––how shall this heart, this head, these hands be employed? to whose service shall they be dedicated? A question the answer to which involves a futurity of happiness or misery to a life so dear to thee. Maternal love is the first agent in education."
  This is my calling, to teach and raise children to grow firmly in the word of God. To bring blessing and glory to their Creator, to  fulfill what they are created for.
         Blessings to you. Thank you for reading.
   Do you have a way of teaching your child or children that bring blessing to you, your family  and others?!

No comments:

Post a Comment