Thursday, January 23, 2014

The subject of Math

          Our morning started today rather busy... I usually don't like to be busy and keep away from planning to much activities. I feel when I do plan lots, I strip away the spontaneity of the day. I  also
might be so consumed by all the things planned that I don't focus on what is right in my face, the real important things, like my children. That being said. I also can be to relaxed..  and that's not good either. So a healthy medium is important. We do need to have a little  structure.
 
  Our day usually starts with a hot breakfast and a nice cup of hot tea, for everyone. We have our devotionals with our breakfast. After breakfast everyone cleans up their area and we get to the least favorite subject. MATH... Actually its not horrible. Its just that teaching a third grader math gets to be kind of tiresome at moments. Even with our struggles, our nine year old does a great job. Teaching Math to a six and three year old is fun. Just the Basics. What is a dime worth, What is a quarter worth etc. addition, subtraction, telling time and so forth. I'm also trying really hard to teach them how to count in Ukrainian. That is pretty cute to hear.
  For third grade math we are doing Saxon Math Intermediate 3.
 It is intense. But I like that it challenges my son. That being said, I am searching for something different.. Honestly, Loving the Charlotte Mason way of teaching. I simply cant imagine her teaching math out of a Saxon work book. I feel like its so mechanical. I want him to love to learn. I know, I know, there are just some subjects that you have to just DO, like it or not. But , I want him to enjoy it. I hope its not just me..?
   Now, there is a book that I found that is fantastic (from what I read). Its called Mathematics: An Instrument for Living Teaching. I just Love the title.( Living Teaching)!!! So I ordered it.
 Here <---------
  I  had started this post thinking I will cover all subjects that we are covering, but math is where we started and will finish on. I guess Ill write about each subject separately. I like that better.
  I am looking forward to getting that book in the mail. Don't you love when you get Happy Mail?!
 Do you like Math? Did it always come easy to you? I would love to hear what you think.
  For some inspiration, Here is a beautiful blog I love to read.
 Here     <---------------

No comments:

Post a Comment