Sunday, March 2, 2014

A little Science, a little art.

  Hello again,
  So happy to be able to write to you. Last week was busy for me but in a good way.
My husband was off for a couple of weeks as I stated in my last post, it was so lovely to have him home with us for so long. Now that he went back to work, I miss him, but thankful that he has a job.
 We got to spend a lot of time doing school together  and we read a lot. We also got to rest and cook together! Now I have to get myself back to routine. I really wanted to share with you this wonderful book that we started last week for science/ Nature study, called Jack's Insects. Its a classic living science book. I love how it is directed specifically to the child, like a conversation. As soon as I started reading it the children made sure they listened. I also picked up a Narration and Nature study notebook that went along with the book. It is lovely, It shows your child how to draw different insects and asks question about each chapter of the book. In our first lesson we learned what entomology was! Fun, fun.
 We also are studying about Monet and his beautiful art, and his biography. We got to visit the Cleveland Art Museum to find Monet's work.  I think it is so beneficial to introduce your children to Art. You are teaching them to appreciate beautiful things. You are teaching them to be observant. You are also teaching them art skills, and color, dimensions, and patterns and History. The list go's on and on. 


  Here is a nice link that describes how Charlotte Mason's method is applied to picture or art study.

 here is where we purchased a picture study portfolio.

  Now you don't have to buy this to do a picture study. You can simply go to the library and get books on the artist you would like to study. I liked the portfolio because it has prints of the artist work and a booklet with information about the specific artist. Easy! The kids enjoy art and trying to recreate some of the work. Ill post some photos on the next post. A quote from Charlotte Mason in the book ourselves Vol,4.p.9
      Nobody knows how much is possible to any one person.
 Many persons go through life without recognizing this.
They have no notion of how much they can do and feel,
 know and be; and their lives turn out poor, narrow, and disappointing.
   
  Sad but true. I feel that it is important to surround yourself with things and people that inspire you to do your best and be your best. To be a shining light for this dark world. To apply yourself with all your strength at whatever you do.


   Colossians 3:17
 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
I tell my kids, If you make your bed, do it like you are making it for Jesus, If you are playing your violin, play like your playing to Jesus. Brushing your teeth.... on and on. As I serve my children three meals a day and snacks, I do it with a happy heart, for my Lord.( That's not always the case, but I am really trying to be aware of that). Thank you Lord for the privilege of children, thank you that I have a family to serve. When I get weary and tired and feel like I can't go on, you will be the one I run to, you will lift me up and strengthen me. Jeremiah 31:25  For I will satisfy the weary soul, and every languishing soul I will replenish.”   Until next time friend, Happy teaching! And learning;)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment